Activities & FAQs
We are delighted to bring the following activities to the Youth Club in 2019, all activities are open to boys and girls who are members.
More details on all new classes are at the end of this email. Please be aware that with the new Parish Centre Opening its likely the Monday and Wednesday classes will be in the New Centre. We are going to play it by ear to see how we get on before a final decision is made for the final home of BPYC by the parish.
Provisional Activity Schedule for second term, Jan 2019 - April 2019.
|Monday||Art with Evelyn (Junior & Senior Infants) 1:30pm-2:30pm
Art with Evelyn (1st to 6th class) 2:30pm-3:30pm
|Tuesday||Lego & Golf (Junior & Senior Infants) 1:30pm-2:30pm
Golf (1st to 6th class) 2:30pm-3:30pm
|Wednesday||Disney Songs & Dance Karate (Junior & Senior Infants) 1:30pm-2:30pm
Disney Songs & Dance
Karate(1st to 6th class) 2:30pm-3:30pm
|Thursday||Football & Sports with Johnny (Junior & Senior Infants) 1:30pm-2:30pm
Football & Sports with Johnny (1st to 6th class) 2:30pm-3:30pm
* Activities will go ahead if there are sufficient numbers of members and garda vetted supervisors.
* Activities will not take place during mid-term.
Art with Evelyn Our resident Art teacher Evelyn has been helping our members get their creative juices going each year by doing a mix of Arts and Crafts, Painting and Drawing in a relaxed friendly environment. This will run from September to December and a €50 euro supplement applies for materials each term.
Lego & Golf
Lego is an old favourite, much loved by all the children, especially Junior & Senior Infants.
Golf by http://www.birdiegolfacademy.ie/
Birdie Golf Academy (BGA) is a new fun way for young children to learn the fundamentals of golf in the Dublin area!
It is a non-contact activity that teaches the basic movements needed in a golf swing allowing kids to progress to a level where they can play in a golf club.
Kids can choose whether to do Golf or Lego.
It does have a higher supervision requirement than our other classes due to the fact that it doesn’t have a teacher/facilitator (i.e. there will be 2 parents for each activity). Please note that supervisors will not be responsible for supervising swaps between the boys, so any swaps are considered final!
Here is something we read that we thought we would share
7 Benefits of Unstructured Play
Through unstructured play – both solo and with friends – kids develop and reinforce a number of life skills including:
- Creative thinking – thinking outside the box to solve problems. Creative thinking helps kids excel in the classroom, their careers and their hobbies.
- Conflict resolution – sharing and fair treatment of playmates. Conflict resolution teaches kids ethics, relationships and about treating people fairly.
- Decision making – Who does what, helps who or takes the lead? Decision making helps people take action and is key to strong leadership.
- Problem-solving – Problems are an everyday part of life. Problem-solving helps kids overcome everyday challenges and builds resilience.
- Negotiation – swapping, agreeing rules and responsibilities. Negotiation will help your kids learn about compromise and how to agree a solution.
- Resilience – things don’t always work out the way we hope. Resilience teaches kids about life’s ups and downs and the importance of perseverance.
- Teamwork – playing with friends or siblings. Teamwork is an essential skill in play, family life, the classroom, workplace and in society!
Disney Songs & Dance: Run by Irish Theatre Workshops who will do Disney Dance classes with them. Taking in songs from The Little Mermaid, The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and more the children will explore a wide variety of dancing styles under that theme – with fun disney dress up costumes for the very little ones to wear!
Led by Sensei Ruadhan , karate provides a safe and healthy means of learning how to protect oneself. Shown to improve fitness, flexibility, agility, confidence and self-awareness, karate is a combination of kicking, punching, striking and blocking techniques. Karate is universally recognised as one of the most comprehensive of all martial arts and is ideally suited to combat the stresses of modern living.The Hombu Dojo is Ireland’s only full time, professionally run karate studio. With over 500 members, it is also one of the most successful martial arts clubs in the country and they are in BPYC for 7 weeks to share their skills.
Soccer and Sports with Johnny: Each Thursday Booterstowns’ resident sports coach Johnny will give participants a chance to boost their fitness & football skills every week in a relaxed and friendly environment. It will be mostly football but other sports will be played too if that’s what the kids want.
We are hoping to bring in Gaelige and Games, and Jewellery Making in the next term at some stage also, we just couldn’t get the timetable to work with the facilitators in the early weeks so we will keep you posted.
Here is a list of FAQS in relation to activities
Do you know anyone who might be interested in putting on an activity with us? If you are interested, or if you know of anyone who might be, please let the committee know if you see us or email us at Booterstownparishyouthclub@gmail.com